Monday 1 September 2014

I Always Wonder Why: A Note on Positivity

I always wonder why a great deal of people constantly notice the negative or comment negatively on everything. Just this morning while going through my Youtube subscriptions, I have seen filthy comments on various channels. First was Zoella's new channel trailer. Different comments stated that this move of hers was completely self-absorbed and it was a show-off of her awards as a youtuber. Another was Robin William's tribute taken from The Emmys special segment for him. The most horrible comment on there spoke of Mr. Williams not deserving such tribute for he is a coward and that he is an insult to people struggling with cancer and ALS. Some even said that people who commit suicide are too weak to face their problems.

I can probably opt to take a second, regain my cool and compose an entire entry as a response to these two comments alone. However, I would like to address a little more general query that has been bothering me for quite a while now: what is the reason people feel the need to take note of the negative, feed it with more pessimism and comment publicly, as if exercising their freedom to share their opinions on the internet? True enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have nothing against that at all. However, how these certain people's brains work is a complete mystery to me. Maybe because I refuse to believe it is a human tendency or maybe because I know it is not and it shouldn't be. What ever happened to having a positive and open mind? Is it the present fast-paced world? Is it technology? Is it greed, jealousy or envy? I do not know.

Each time I read or hear someone speaks ill of another, a series of racing disappointed and frustrated thoughts start to pop up in my mind. My brain wants to simply think that that comment for Zoey was from an inconsiderate know-it-all and that comment regarding Robin Williams was from an ignorant piece of s*** but no, I have decided to make a public blog entry about it and here is what I'd really like to say... #NoPreachingIntended

First and foremost: Have you been having a bad day? I see that this has become a "valid" excuse to be negative and rude. If you say yes, do not open the internet or anything where your negative energy can be explicitly displaced. Prior to conversing with someone, give yourself enough time to process what has happened or has been happening and repetitively chant the saying, "It's not a bad life, just a bad day". Afterwards, if you still feel horrible, go to a quiet place, look up how breathing strategies go and do it. Close your eyes for a sec and think about what makes you smile. As for me, as superficial as it can sound, it is the smell of brand new clothes. Ask yourself: what is the reason I even started my day? Personally, I think of venturing into my new job and making the most out of another breathing day I was blessed with. I do not have to engage myself in activities that are out-of-the-ordinary like go bungee jumping or fly across the world to make my day one for the books. I just have to do what I need to and move one step forward towards my goals. Another would be: what am I looking forward to later? Maybe it's my cozy bed and my Netflix TV series fix that I watch with the family. Anything that irons out that grumpy face is good. I promise it works and it does not take a lot of time. Just try it!

Second of all, my friend, if you have nothing good or reasonably decent to say, just please zip it. Just zip it for a couple of minutes and your brain will forget about it. You would not even remember that you initially had that unpleasant thought. If by all means you still cannot contain yourself - you have overly powerful thoughts and feelings, stop for a sec. TRY TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND, AND EDUCATE YOURSELF. If you think you do not have the time to do this, then you also do not have the right to speak in light of ignorance. Unless you have read all the books and articles in the universe and have experienced 7 billion other lives (Earth's population FYI), you do not have the right to judge nor comment about another person. Referring back to the Robin William's tribute comment, please please please, for a better world's sake, read about depression or mental health, in general. Educate yourself about it being a serious and debilitating illness just like any other physical illness. Maybe talk to someone who underwent the same life experience of being suicidal and how this is a real struggle and not just a come-and-go state of mind. I beg you. Do it before you speak. Ignorance is never an excuse.

Third and last of all, BE HUMANE. BE RESPECTFUL. I am not saying you have to be kind, charitable or polite. If you can, feel free and cheers to you. However, the first steps before that are to JUST BE RESPECTFUL AND HUMANE. After all, you are a human and there is nothing more human than being humane and respectful towards another being. How many more times should I say it this combo? Be humane. Be respectful.

That's about it.

This was an important rambling from yours truly but it just had to be said. Thank you for reading! Have an awesome week, beautiful souls!



'Til the next,
Macy

No comments:

Post a Comment